Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Logic fail.

Dat gonna be frah, raight?
In our eternal quest to make more money give customers all their options, a lot of us offer breadsticks to customers when they order a salad. It's a teeny, tiny additional charge - but it still counts as a "point" towards our upsells (which is part of what determines our shifts).

I've almost stopped asking, though, because I can't handle the stupid. I would say that nine out of ten people, when I ask, "would you like a breadstick with your salad?" come back at me with: "does it come with it?"

Think about it, folks. If it came with it, would I be asking you if you want it? No. I'd just bring it to you. Just like the tomatoes, or dressing, or what-the-fuck-ever else. I don't ask if you want a straw with your drink but I sure as hell bring you one. I don't ask if you want a napkin with your silverware. Since you're not at an Italian restaurant, we don't just chuck bread at you.

So if I ask if you want a totally separate item with your meal .... you can go ahead and assume it doesn't "come with it."

(Yes. I have my cranky pants on today.)

5 comments:

Aunty Pol said...

Can't cure stupid honey.

Waving from dah Big H

purplegirl said...

I know. Just wish it weren't so fucking prevalent! :)

Anonymous said...

I've got the opposite scenario for you...

My family and I are at a local pizza place. I forget what my mother ordered, but the menu clearly stated that it comes with garlic bread. Not "garlic bread optional", or "let us know if you'd like garlic bread". Just "orders below come with garlic bread".

So the food shows up, sans garlic bread. My mother asks about it, to which the server replied, "you didn't let me know that you wanted it."

errr... didn't think we needed to, but whatever...

Server gets upset for some reason, even though SHE made the judgement call, then apparently gets the kitchen upset because when my mom gets her bread, it's burnt.

Oh well...

purplegirl said...

That's definitely not right either!

Eddie said...

Love this blog!

I work at a KFC. I HATE when a customer won't hand me the money but just lays it on the counter, as if he/she is somehow above putting something in my hand.