Wednesday, June 23, 2010

In the category of "No fucking way!": customers who didn't suck.

Just a little story, and a nice one at that! Last week I waited on a couple and their daughter. They were quiet, nice people who didn't run me around or do anything obnoxious. When they left and I picked up their money, they had left $52 ... for a $32 ticket.

I won't lie, the little devil on my shoulder suggested I just put it in my pocket and go about my business. But I knew they didn't mean to leave that much -- and if they did, well, they'd send me back inside with it. I could see them just getting to their car, so I scurried out the door. They gave me a strange look at I came up, god knows what they were thinking.

"I think you left more than you meant to," I said while holding out the cash.
"No, there should be about forty there." The wife wasn't looking at the money.
"Actually there's fifty two ..." I held it up.
She blinked at me. "Oh! I did leave too much." Then she looked confused, like she was embarrassed to take it back. I handed it all to her, not wanting to assume, and she handed back $42. "Thank you so much, that's so nice of you."
"You're welcome, I'd want someone to do the same for me. Have a good one!" I was about to turn to go back when the husband finally spoke up.
"Wait, here ..." he handed me another five. "Thank you, we appreciate it. Really."

So I got tipped great and I got to feel good about myself. It was possibly the only good moment in the last week!

3 comments:

Squishy said...

You were far nicer than I would have been. I would have kept it to compensate for the lousy tips they have probably left in the past....But that's just me after working lunch and barely making any money...

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You did good and they handled it well too. You deserved it.

Anonymous said...

A few weeks ago, the husband put the cash in the check presenter, went to the restroom while the family waited...I stopped by, picked up the book and said I would be right back. Wife says "oh, no. you keep the change" with a huge, strained smile, I said thank you very much. (This table had found out that while kids meals on Sundays were on $2 - they could order as many as they wanted- so the 11 year old kids ate as much as the adults for $4 each...and got dessert) ..
I walked to the station and opened the book - the tab was $42 - there was a $100 bill. Ummmm...

I debated and went back...Ma'am, are you sure?

Yes, that's what he said...

Ma'am, I am good at what I do...but I am not sure this is right

So, I left it, thinking cool - either yes, they did mean it or I would at least get a better tip for being honest.

Husband calls me back over - I laughed and told him the same thing - I am good at what I do but...

He said thank you for being so honest....he thought he had left a $50 (me thinking - ok, $8 on $42, except that it should have been $24 more - a total of $66, no one tips on the before coupons and discounts amount)

BTW, can I get 5 $1's.

Thanks dude. $4.62. Drinks were on me that night. All the water you could drink - I mean, I still had to tip whoever brought me the water, right?