Thursday, September 23, 2010

Another one I nearly smacked.

The more I think about this, the more irritated I am, and the more glad I am that I'm not working this week. Or next, probably. Long story.

Anyway, I made the mistake of taking a big table the other day. They'd called ahead and said there would be 17; only 14 showed up, which is a bad start. They were also late, even worse. Now, we have this new corporate rule that a table of eight has to be split, and originally I was going to have to split this table with a useless coworker.

When the people finally showed up, Useless Coworker had just been double-sat, so I ended up taking them by myself. Which seemed fine; they were mellow, not needy. I only had to get a couple of drink refills. They had separate tickets and the groups were scattered across the table, but I know how to deal with that. Everything was fine up until the very end when I passed out the tickets.

That was when I discovered I'd changed the the wrong amount for the kids' food -- fucking kids' night! While I was trying to fix that, I had two more books shoved in my face. So I fixed the prices, I ran the cards, I went out to the table .... where I discovered that two of the cards were swapped around. I really do not think I did it; I suspect they weren't paying attention and got them scrambled themselves. But they got all fucking pissy about it!

It took me a good five or six minutes to fix it, because of what our stupid computer system does when you void a credit card. Some of them were still eating when I went back to the kitchen; the guy who ended up being the biggest jackass still had half a beer. So basically they showed no signs of being in a hurry.

Well, when I came out with the fixed tickets and re-run cards, they were all standing up and inching toward the door! That in itself bugs me, because they were getting in everybody's way. But what really pissed me off was when one of the guys spotted me.

"Yay!" he starts clapping sarcastically. "There she is, she made it. Yay." Continuing to clap. I started to say something and he just repeated "Yay, there she is." clapping the entire time.

I actually had my hands in fists and was turning toward him before I caught myself.

5 comments:

fuckmytable said...

Oh, man, I may have just decked him right then and there.

Of course, like you, I would actually have restrained myself. But I can see myself saying something like, "Yay, you're leaving!" and clapping as I walked away.

God, I am going to get myself fired...>_<

Sorry you had so many problems. I feel you, as our computer system makes voiding a credit card transaction hell. Things will get better...and if they don't, just remember: You are better than the assholes you serve. Let that be the fuel for your smile. :)

yellowcat said...

People are such condescending pricks. Some days I wish I owned a restaurant just so I could have a "Go Fuck Yourself" day.

SkippyMom said...

I think I probably would've done what f.m.table said and then went out to find a new job. :D But he most certainly would've received my "Seriously?!" face because I cannot stand when customers act like condescending pricks.

Mama Insomnia said...

People suck. As a fellow server, I feel your pain. And I hate Kids nights...all they do is bring out the creap parents too lazy to cook for their kids. Anyways, I came here to tell you I gave you an award!
http://imo-fwiw.blogspot.com/2010/09/im-baaaaack.html
Have a great weekend!

Waiting said...

I don't think I could work anywhere with a kid's night.

I think if someone did that to me, I would either start bowing and thanking them in the most sarcastic tone possible OR just say "oops, forgot something," and immediately turn around and head back into the kitchen so they can have a time out.