Friday, January 27, 2012

The fate of my waitressing job.

CL just put out next week's schedule, and for the third week in a row, she gave me no shifts. This amuses me, because it's obvious she just wants me to leave. But she doesn't want to fire me because she really has no grounds. My availability is limited, but I have the required three shifts per week I'm available. I haven't screwed anything up or had complaints. I haven't had conflicts with coworkers. And this is at an-will state, so she doesn't really have to have a reason, but I think she's hesitant to fire me without an actual reason because I've been there so long and 99% of my coworkers like me, although I can't stand most of their asses, and god knows most of the regular customers love me. So I'm curious how long she'll drag it out.

That said, I'm incredibly glad she hasn't scheduled me. I fucking hate that place. After the calm, happy call center, the restaurant is hell to the n-th degree. At my full-time job, I sit and answer the phone. And sometimes it's nerve-wracking, because there's no break between the calls sometimes and it gets a little overwhelming. Sometimes it's frustrating, because the 163-year-old man on the other end of the line doesn't understand "press the power button on your receiver". And sometimes I get pissed off, when a customer calls in saying that another agent promised them the world and I have to tell them there's no record of that and they can't get whatever they were promised.

But you know what? When that happens, I have a support system. When somebody is getting no signal from their satellite dish, and my normal steps don't fix it, I send them to the tech department and I don't have to think about it anymore. I get paid either way. When somebody is angry because they were told they didn't have to pay their entire bill to get their services restored, I apologize and explain our iron-clad business policies to them. I have a list of options for them, and if none suit them, and they're really angry, well, that's what supervisors are for. I get paid either way. I don't have to worry I'll have spent the last hour doing everything I can to please someone and end up with nothing for it. I don't have to be afraid I'll tell a customer no, I'm not able to do that, only to have a manager come along behind me and do that! If it's slow, I can do things between calls, like sudoku, reading, writing to-do lists, talking to the people next to me. I'm not required to look busy every moment of every shift. And they pay me a hell of a lot more than $4 per hour!

That's not to say that serving is all bad, and I do miss some of my coworkers and even some of the customers. And I know that a lot of my frustrations were due to the specific restaurant I was at. But fucking hell, I was just burnt out! And I didn't even realize the extent of my misery until I had something to compare it to.

So .... why am I not telling CL to stuff it up her Grand Canyon of a twat and running like hell? Well, I'm not quite back on my feet yet. Still scraping for money to cover some things, like gas to get to the new job. And while having no shifts is obviously not helping that, I like feeling like I have an option to get more money. I could pick up a shift or two if I really wanted to. But once I get to the point where I'm caught up on bills and maybe even have a little extra saved? The restaurant business can go fuck itself.

And what I'll regret most when that day comes is losing this blog!

14 comments:

cd0103 said...

You don't have to lose the blog! Turn it into a call center blog! I work in a department with call center employees and I find the funny as hell.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for being the first blog I've read to spell "nerve-wracking" correctly. You're my new hero.

SkippyMom said...

I have to agree with cd. Hell, my blog is called "I Make Soap". Have you EVER seen me make a bar of soap? And my friends still show up. They make fun of me, but they come :wink:

Hope you stay around - we'd miss you if you left.

Caveman said...

When you quit, go out with a bang and tell us all about it! I am sure you can find enough material to blog about at your other job. Lets face it, working basically sucks regardless of what you are doing!

http://talesfromabar.com/

Anonymous said...

I know this is sort of off topic, but I wanted to tell you how glad I'am that you are well:) I have been through the panic attack hell as well, it does get better!! Please keep writing, whatever job you are doing.

Anonymous said...

I left my serving job to go to a UPS call center, and it was way more stressful then serving, but the stories that I could have told? Oh my gawd. Keep blogging about the call center, the gen pop over the phone is way crazier then in person.

Sulky kitten said...

No way can you stop - I've just found you! So call me selfish!...just keep writing about the Call centre, your days, anything really - I'll still be reading it.

DMT said...

lol change the blog to the slightly passive aggressive operator :p

I'm very happy for you. I have fingers crossed it'll be 1 more year, 2 at most, to finish my masters and get out of retail once and for all. I don't think that it's really worth having a test of wills with CL because either way you look at it it's a win for you. She fires you, you're free and she looks like a bitch. If you quit, it was your choice, you move onto a better job and she's stuck in that poxy little kip sulking because all the boys she chats to online dont want to hook up with her IRL. You make up a white lie and say "Sorry but I got offered a better contract/promotion at my other job, I need the money to go on holidays with my boyfriend so I'm taking it and cant work here anymore" just to rub it in a little bit.

JoeinVegas said...

The only slightly cranky former waitress?

Aunty Pol said...

Sistah, Sistah Sistah..as one phone jocky to another , I hear ya..I am lucky..I actually still like my job after..THIRTY YEARS..and I work for attorneys so I am the one that is the person problem calls get sent to more often than not...Now..Listen to your Aunty Pol:

Call it what you want , don't you dare lose this blog...there are days that it helps me get through my moments and yes..you've seen my rants.....I would miss you way the hell to much if you stop blogging here.

Hugs,

AP

Margaret said...

I've lurked here for a long time and have really enjoyed reading your blog. You don't need to lose it, I know you'll have lots of cool stories to share from your new job. Your writing style rocks!

Maybe also, you need to get away from the waitressing for awhile. Your body sure is telling you something. I know that money is still an issue, but your health is much more important. Really. :)

Kelsey said...

I agree with Caveman. I've had 2 BS jobs where I was the star and everyone depended on me. In the end I got shit on. I played the good girl right to the end, worked my shifts and went out quietly. I wish I had made a big TADA on my way out. Something along the lines of a swearing fit at the asshole GM or dumping a tray of food (no "plates"...just "boats" made of heavy paperish material) on a rude table or even in the middle of a BUSY dining room before ripping my apron off and throwing it while screaming FUCK YOU ******* **** *****! (*s substituted for the restaurant's name obv). I wouldn't use the place for a reference because my original GM was long gone and replaced by douche bag GM who hated me anyway. It would have been a big moment for me, sticking up for myself like that, and I hope to hell you give it to CL like the cunt deserves!
LOVE YOUR BLOG BABE!

Confessions from the Hairdresser said...

If you do change the topic of your blog, your transition should be pretty easy.
My blog survived through my untimely thrift-store firing, then my pet-store job closing... ...and I'm sure that it will survive my eventual descent into soapmaking.

Anna said...

My experience...been in the biz for 20+ years...for the most part...eapecially in chain restaurant.its same trailer different park...