Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The customers who made me cry.

The other day I waited on a couple that honestly, I expected very little from. She ordered hot water with lemon, and he ordered water with no ice. When I brought the waters he remarked, "Oh! She remembered!" in an undertone to his wife. They then ordered an appetizer and a house salad to share. With a small bill, I expected a corresponding tip - not because they were rude or anything, but just because 15% of $10 is $1.50, you know?

When I gave them their ticket, the husband handed it back to me with a twenty, and then asked if I had to share my tips with everyone in the restaurant. (This is a surprisingly common question.) I told him no, and then said with a smile that I'd be right back with his change. He stopped me by handing out a crisp one hundred dollar bill.

I froze. I didn't know what to do. My brain had made the connection between his question and the money, but I didn't believe it and didn't want to assume. I think I stared at him for a good twenty seconds before asking in what must I think was a confused croak if he needed more change.

"No, that's all for you." he said with a smile. His wife beamed at me ... and me?

I cried. I'd been so fucking stressed out about money for days - I felt like I was hallucinating. A hundred bucks isn't a fuckton of money, but it was exactly what I needed that day. I cried, and I thanked them so many times they must have thought I had some thankful version of Tourette's, and I hugged them both.

And after the shock wore off, I soaked up the jealousy of my coworkers with great enjoyment, because in eleven years I had never before gotten the "holiday" tip.

4 comments:

Corina H. said...

I am so happy for you! Those are the best tips!

Anonymous said...

Omg, when I read the title I thought it was something really bad!!!

Anonymous said...

A few weeks ago, a young mother with 2 small children came in to the restaurant to pick up a to go order. Our bartenders generally take care of the take out transactions. While she waited for the order, our young bartender talked with the children and mom to help them pass the time. The tab came to $35 or so - she left a note on the Credit card slip stating she had not been able to make an offering at church that morning, so she wanted to share her donation with him. She left $165 tip -- God works in mysterious ways

StaffMerge said...

Helpful information. StaffMerge is the best Employer Platform you want for successful hiring employees for your company.