Saturday, July 9, 2011

Politeness negated.

(I know, I'm a bad, bad blogger. Been taking a lot of days off to deal with this moving bullshit, though.)

I think we can all agree that there is an epidemic of rude fuckers who can't bother to say please and thank you anymore. So usually when somebody actually takes those few extra seconds to be polite, I'm thankful. Tonight, though, someone demonstrated how you can say the right words but still come off as a twat: by interrupting.

For example, I brought their food and set it down with my usual smile. “Is there anything else I ca--”
“Ranch please!” she chirped.
When I brought it back, I set it down and started to say “here you go.” I got halfway through the first word when she cut me off with her thank-you. Same thing with dessert, boxes, check, etc.

Now I've absolutely had ruder people. She's pretty low on the bitch scale. But I almost think it's worse when somebody is mouthing the polite words, implying they're aware of common courtesy, while interrupting and therefore ignoring its rules.

3 comments:

Joe Sixtop said...

Great post, I really liked it. But I like all your episodes. Good lucj with the new crib.

Anonymous said...

I feel ya, girl. All day today...responses that clearly reveal no listening has taken place.

Me: "Hi, how are you?"
Customer: "Water please."
Me: "Okay. Anything special bringing you in today?"
Customer: "With lemon, please."

What would happen if I responded like that?

Customer: "Hi, how are you?"
Me: "What do you want to drink?"
Customer: "Oh, um...Iced tea, thank you."
Me: "Food?"
Customer: "I'd like a minute to look, please."
Me: "FOOD?"

I mean, seriously. They'd think I was rude, but for some reason people have no problem doing it to me.

Free said...

You're in food service, what could you possible have to say that's interesting? (A lot!) Next time spill it on her and see if she lets you finish your sentence. I "accidentally" on purpose did that more than once. Usually on suit jackets of lawyers who annoyed me.