Monday, May 21, 2012

Excellent start.

I met my boss's boss for the first time tonight, and I don't think I impressed him.

See, he'd gathered us all around for a group meeting. It was all about statistics. He spent a few minutes covering information, and when we were talking about handle time he said "your team's average has been low, quit worrying about it." When we were talking about being marked down for repeat calls, he basically told us to shut up and stop whining. Then he started talking about the customer satisfaction surveys. When we all expressed concern about them, worry about getting low scores, etc., his response was: "Guys, don't worry so much. Everybody's human and nobody's perfect all the time, okay?" He then followed it up with a scowl. "But what is going on with quality assurance scores? Why are we getting low scores on those ever?"

I couldn't help it. It was too obvious. I knew as it was coming out of my mouth that it was not a good move in term of workplace politics, but .... "Because like you just said, everybody's human and nobody's perfect all the time." The boss stared at me like I'd sprouted another head. I shrugged. "Those calls are chosen random and we're going to forget things sometimes."

He continued staring at me. I don't think he likes me.

6 comments:

Pandy said...

Oops. Maybe he will forget!

Anonymous said...

Just like the restaurant- authority does not like having their own statements come back to haunt them, even if it's been 3 minutes.

Unknown said...

Is this the boss of "Dickshoes" from your last post? If it is it sounds like you're gonna need a change of venu before you end up really uncomfortable.
http://complaintothemanager.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

If it's your boss's boss then it sounds as if it's his problem, not yours. I'd have been inclined to drop hints about his management skills.

DMT said...

you're not the first and you're not the last to do that I wouldn't sweat it if he's been around the block a few times he should be well used to it

John http://www.muranosoft.com/ said...

Hm, intersting situation. I do not even know what I can offer as advise.